When you visit the Florida Gulf Coast, there are hundreds of possibilities for how to fill your day. But if you want to explore our region like the Floridians do, there is no better way than from a kayak. If you want to immerse yourself in nature, reax or get some exercise – do as the Floridians do, and plan to spend the day on a kayak. Here are five of our favorite reasons to go kayaking :
- Kayaking Allows You To Explore Nature in a Unique Way: There are so many waterways that wind around and through the Sarasota area – so whether you are vacationing on Lido or Siesta Key, relaxing down south in Venice, or enjoying Anna Maria Island, you’ll find many local spots to set your kayak in the water. You can drift down a canal or paddle in the Bay, experiencing nature in a way that is impossible simply by walking the shoreline. Kayaking offers the opportunity to explore hidden coves, view birds up close, or even fish in the shallows. When you are sitting so close to the water, your viewpoint is entirely different – and you’ll never want to explore nature any differently. Did You Know? Approximately 400 species of birds live along the Florida Gulf Coast – from pelicans to plovers and great blue herons. If you love birdwatching, bring your binoculars and pack a guide.
- Kayaking Can Be Enjoyed Regardless of Season: No matter when you plan on visiting our region, kayaking is accessible and a fantastic pastime. Allow Gulf and Bay breezes to cool you off during the summer, or take advantage of our more temperate winter season. Because Florida weather is typically conducive to outdoor activities year-round, you can count on kayaking to provide the fun no matter when you visit or want to strike out on the water.
- Kayaking Is Excellent Exercise: Kayaking can be fantastic exercise, allowing regular paddlers to work on their core and upper body. Kayaking can improve muscle strength and flexibility, positively influence cardiovascular health, and burn up to 500 calories an hour. That said, individuals of all fitness levels can enjoy kayaking, and you can be as leisurely as you need to be. Being out on the water can also improve mental health by relieving stress and anxiety and inspiring peace and relaxation.
- Kayaking Can Improve Your Social Life: While floating silently through the mangrove tunnels in solidarity may be your dream, kayaking is also a great way to meet new friends and cultivate relationships. Whether meeting with a group, hosting friends from out-of-state, or exploring a popular shoreline, kayaking provides a shared experience you won’t soon forget. Kayaking provides an excellent opportunity to socialize, network, and make new friends with similar interests.
- Kayaking Bridges the Age Gap: Kayaking can be enjoyed by friends and family of every age – in fact, both children and their grandparents can enjoy a day in a kayak. The activity doesn’t require specialized expertise, and those who don’t feel comfortable alone can ride along in a double kayak. With a stable kayak and the recommended safety gear, the whole family can enjoy kayaking and make unforgettable memories.
Kayaking is an enjoyable and relaxing activity that epitomizes the Floridian way of life. Interacting with nature is scientifically proven to enhance overall happiness and well-being – and our coastlines, canals, and estuaries provide some of the most beautiful nature around.
Ride and Paddle Makes Kayaking Easy.
At Ride and Paddle, we are dedicated to accommodating your kayak adventure with exceptional customer service and knowledge. Whether you want a guided tour, need lessons, or want the equipment dropped off at your vacation home – we are the only call you need to make. Visit Ride and Paddle, or join us at The Bay!
At Ride and Paddle, we provide everything to make your beach vacation memorable, from beach gear to bicycles. Click now to reserve what you need – and remember, we deliver.