Have you tried kayaking yet? Whether you live in Florida or visit for vacation, paddling a kayak is a fantastic way to explore the natural beauty of our region. Kayaking is so good for the mind, body, and soul that we feel compelled to share all its benefits . From improving your health to making new friends, there are so many reasons why getting out on the water can enhance every aspect of your life and wellbeing.
Kayaking Improves Physical Health
Kayaking is an excellent way to improve your overall physical health. It delivers a low-impact workout that can enhance strength, balance, coordination, and endurance and is a perfect option if your body cannot endure more strenuous forms of exercise. You can choose the appropriate level of intensity for your workout based on the equipment you use, the length of your trip, and the water conditions.
Did You Know?Intensity varies, but the average paddler can burn up to 300 calories in 30 minutes.
- Cardiovascular Health:Paddling increases the heart rate, consuming calories as you glide through the water. The motion strengthens the heart muscle and lowers the potential risk of coronary artery disease or stroke while also helping to reduce high blood pressure.
- Endurance and Strength:Kayaking builds upper body strength and endurance, including arms, shoulders, chest, back, and abdominals – not to mention your hips and legs. Your muscles strengthen, and your posture improves with each stroke, especially if you paddle against the tide or into the waves.
- Coordination and Balance:To move through currents or over wakes while remaining upright, good balance and coordination are necessary. Kayaking will feel more natural, especially if you learn to kayak in various conditions.
Kayaking Encourages Social Connections
Not only does paddling a kayak boost physical fitness and encourage relaxation, it provides the perfect environment to build relationships and spend quality time with friends and family. Kayaking excursions create a bond between those participating, as everyone works together to reach their destination while having fun and learning more about nature. Parents and children, significant others, and retirees making new friends – everyone benefits from enjoying kayaking. If you want to try kayaking but have no one to go with, join a local kayak tour. It’s a great way to make new friends both on and off the water.
Paddling Supports Overall Wellbeing
Kayaking is a great way to lower stress, alleviate anxiety, and calm the mind. The activity can enhance focus, boost concentration, and sharpen problem-solving skills. Do you need to clear your mind, solve a problem, or develop a brilliant new idea? Kayaking may be just what you need.
- Reduce Stress:Water has a soothing effect even when you stand on the shore, but being out in a kayak immerses you in the sights and gentle sounds of nature. Paddling allows you to enjoy time alone or create memories with friends and family. It is a slow-paced way to unplug distractions and never-ending to-do lists, allowing your brain to rest and achieve better wellbeing.
- Improve Problem Solving: The dilemmas you encounter while in a kayak may not be life-changing, but they sometimes require some problem-solving. Whether staying away from boat wakes, maneuvering through grass flats, or navigating the tides, creative thinking is used and developed – especially as you become more adventurous and choose different areas to explore.
- Experience Accomplishment:Finishing a kayaking journey – especially if you challenged yourself or were wary at the outset – can be emotionally rewarding. Your confidence increases, and you are more likely to try new things in the future.
- Alleviate Anxiety:Spending time in the sunshine and out in nature has been proven to lower anxiety levels and improve overall mood.
There is always something new to discover, with so many bays, canals, rivers, and estuaries to explore in and around Siesta Key and Sarasota. Call Ride and Paddle to get started – we can schedule a tour, provide you with classes, rent the equipment, and provide expert advice on where to begin. We even have a naturalist on staff to help you learn more about the region’s ecosystems.
Kayaking is good for the mind, body, and soul – and Ride and Paddle is your one-stop shop for getting on the water and beginning your journey.