Do you love stand-up paddle boarding but don’t want to leave your furry friend behind? Have no fear! We will teach you how to paddle board with your dog. It is a great way to spend time with your pet and get some exercise simultaneously. We will also discuss how to train your dog to paddle board with you. Let’s get started!
Safety Tips For Bringing Your Dog Paddle Boarding
Paddle boarding with your dog can be a great way to enjoy the outdoors with your canine companion. Here are a few safety considerations to keep in mind.
- Make sure your dog is comfortable being on the water. Life jackets should be worn by both of you.
- Choose a calm body of water where you won’t have to worry about waves or strong currents before you start paddle boarding.
- When you’re paddling, keep your dog close to the front of the board so that they don’t accidentally fall off.
- Choose a paddle board that is the right size for you and your dog. Small dogs, large dogs, young dogs, and older dogs can enjoy paddling with a stable board. You’ll also want to make sure the board has enough grip for both of you. If you have a large dog, try using a yoga board.
- Get yourself comfortable on the board before asking your dog to join you. Once you’re both on the board, have your dog sit or lie down in front of you so that they don’t accidentally knock you off.
- Bring plenty of fresh water for both you and your best friend to stay hydrated.
How to Get Your Dog On a Paddle Board
Learning to SUP with your dog is simple and so much fun with some practice. You don’t need to be a professional dog trainer to teach them. Provide verbal commands and treats as needed for positive reinforcement. The number one suggestion for getting your dog on your paddle board is practicing on land several times before hitting the water. Try getting on in shallow water once your dog gets the hang of the motions. The essential thing with paddle boarding with your furry friend is making sure you are both comfortable, confident, and safe.
How to Train Your Dog to Sit On a Paddle Board
Teaching your dog to get on the paddle board may take some practice, time, and patience. If your dog is good at verbal commands, we suggest:
- Put your board on the ground. You may need to remove the bottom fin to make sure the board is flat.
- Teach your dog to step on the board. Give your dog a special command such as “get on.” You can also pat the rubber mat where you want your dog to sit and provide a treat as an incentive. Repeat this several times until the command is established.
- Just like stepping on, you need to teach your dog to jump off the paddle board. Provide verbal commands such as “jump off.” Have them hop off the board in shallow water and close to the shore. If your dog jumps off prematurely, help them get back on and try again.
- To stay balanced, you will want your dog to sit still in one area of the board. While on the shore, call your dog and have them sit in the desired spot. Tell them to “sit.” Have them practice this several times by getting off and back on and sitting in the same spot. Ensure your dog sits in the same spot until instructed to “jump off.”
- Practice all of the above commands in shallow water until you fill your dog is comfortable getting on, sitting, and jumping off your paddle board.
- Practice with your pup doing short distances first and extending as you both feel more comfortable. Practice makes perfect!
Can a Dog Go On An Inflatable Paddle Board?
Inflatable paddle boards (or iSUPs) are popular for water lovers of all ages and abilities. They are easy to transport and set up, and they provide a stable platform for paddling, fishing, yoga, and more.
But can your furry friend join in on the fun? The answer is yes – with a few precautions. First, make sure your dog is comfortable around water and knows how to swim. Second, choose inflatable boards that are the right size for your dog – one that is big enough to provide plenty of room but not so large that it will be difficult to control. Finally, take things slowly at first, letting your dog get used to the board before taking it out on the water. With these simple tips, you and your four-legged friend can enjoy plenty of paddling adventures together.
Tips For Taking Your Dog On Inflatable Paddle Boards
Taking your dog out on a stand-up paddle board (SUP) can be fun to enjoy some time together on the water. However, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind for inflatable boards, and many are the same as regular stand-up paddle boards.
- Make sure that your dog is wearing a life jacket and that you have a personal floatation device. Even if your dog is a strong swimmer, the extra buoyancy will help keep them safe if they fall off the board.
- It’s essential to choose an inflatable SUP designed explicitly for dogs. These boards tend to be broader and more sturdy, making it less likely that your dog will fall off.
- Take some time to practice paddling with your dog before taking them out on open water.
Can I Rent a Paddle Board for My Dog and Me?
Ride and Paddle is the perfect place to rent a paddle board for you and your pup. We also offer other rental services such as beach gear, kayaks, bicycles, and scooters. Our paddle boards are top of the line, and we have a wide variety to choose from. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced paddler, we have the perfect board. And our knowledgeable staff is always happy to help you select the right gear and give you tips on how to get the most out of your time on the water. So, whether you’re looking for a good workout with your dog or just want to enjoy a day on the bay or ocean, give Ride and Paddle a call. We’ll ensure you have everything you need for a fun and enjoyable experience.