Paddleboarding is a great summer activity that people of all ages can enjoy. It is a relatively easy sport to learn, but there are some things you should know before you hit the water. Let’s get to the basics of paddleboarding and answer the question: is paddleboarding hard? The answer is that it depends on what you are comparing it to.
Paddleboarding in the ocean can be difficult because of the waves and currents. If you are paddleboarding in a bay or lake, it is likely to be easier because the water is calmer.
What is a Stand-Up Paddle Board?
The sport of stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) is rapidly gaining popularity due to its relatively low cost and easy accessibility. A SUP board is large, stable, and can be paddled in various water conditions using what is called the paddle blade.
You will be in a standing position, knees slightly bent, feet shoulder-width apart, and balance in the middle of the board where you feel balanced. You’ll use your core muscles to provide a firm paddle stroke and alternate strokes. You may also paddleboard in the kneeling position to get closer to the water.
Central Florida Paddle Boarding
There’s nothing quite like a day spent paddleboarding near the Gulf Coast of Central Florida. The warm, clear water is inviting, and the gentle waves provide the perfect level of challenge for beginners. The area is also teeming with wildlife, including dolphins, manatees, and sea turtles.
Is Paddle Boarding in the Ocean Safe?
Paddleboarding is a popular water sport often associated with calm, coastal waters. However, many paddleboarders also enjoy spending time in the ocean, where they can catch waves and ride them to shore. While this may seem like an adrenaline-filled activity, it is relatively safe when done correctly.
The key to safely paddleboarding in the ocean is to know the conditions before heading out. If the water is too rough or strong currents, it is best to stick to calmer waters. Once you are out in the ocean, pay attention to the waves and stay away from any areas where there might be dangerous wildlife. As long as you take these precautions, you can safely enjoy paddleboarding in the ocean.
Is it Easier to Paddle Board a Bay?
Paddleboarding is a fun and challenging activity that can be enjoyed in both the ocean and a bay.
Many people find it easier to paddleboard in a bay. The calm waters and lack of waves make it easier to balance on the board, and the sheltered environment can help beginners feel more comfortable.
Benefits of SUP Paddle Boarding
There is a long list of benefits of picking up paddleboarding as a hobby.
- You can paddle in various settings and see multiple marine life up close and personal.
- It’s a great way to get outdoors and enjoy the water.
- Paddleboarding is an excellent way to get a full-body workout.
- It can help strengthen core and leg muscles which can help improve balance and coordination skills.
- Paddleboarding is perfect for relaxing in nature and connecting with friends outdoors.
- Bring your pets along! Don’t forget to put them in a personal flotation device for safety.
So, is Paddleboarding Hard?
The answer is no. It’s a straightforward water sport, and a little practice and research on where you want to paddle will determine the level of difficulty you experience. If you are just starting, be sure to pick a location that isn’t too crowded and where the water is calm.
Here are some great areas to paddleboard in Central Florida:
- Phillippi Creek
- The Mangrove Tunnels on South Lido
- Turtle Beach
- North Shell Road in Siesta Key
- Alligator Creek
- Bird Key Park
- City Island Park
- Overlook Park
- Nora Patterson Bay Island Park
Tips for Learning to Use a Stand Up Paddle Board
- Start in a sheltered area with calm water, such as a bay.
- Get comfortable paddling and balancing on the board before venturing into rougher waters. You can practice paddling in shallow water until you feel comfortable.
- Wear proper clothing and sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Paddleboards are large, and they are hard unless you’re using inflatable boards. If you fall and it hits you, you could get hurt. Be sure to know how to fall safely off your paddleboard.
Can You Rent Stand-Up Paddle Boards?
Absolutely! If you are vacationing in the Sarasota, Siesta Key, Bradenton, or Anna Maria Island area, contact one of our locations and see about renting a paddleboard for you and the family. It’s an incredibly easy water sport the whole family will love.